Tuesday 26 March 2013

Juergen Teller

So after looking at the work of Kander for my portraits in my book, I thought it would be a good idea to research some photographers for the still life work I am hoping to create. I need some inspiration of how to make my work stand out. 

One influence comes from, Juergen Teller a fashion photographer and artist who was born in Germany who at the age of 22 moved to London. However  before moving he studied at the Bayerische Staatslehranstalt für Photographie in Munich.



Since being in London Teller’s fashion photography work has been featured in books, magazines or exhibitions, including The FaceVogue (US, France, England, Italy), Another MagazineIndexW MagazineSelf ServiceDetailsPurplei-D and 032c, among others. Many of his pieces of work he prefers to have in colour, and regularly includes himself in his photographs. Below you can see one image that includes himself in the background, the image on the right hand side is Kristen McMenemy taken in 1996.






Gaining wider recognition in 1996 from the photo above, he then began collaborating with Marc Jacobs in 1997.  since this Teller has shot campaigns for the brand and the 2005 campaign, he photographed himself with Cindy Sherman. Other collaborations for Marc Jacobs campaigns involved, among others, Winona RyderSofia CoppolaCharlotte RamplingMichael StipeRufus WainwrightHarmony Korine, and Roni Horn.



Teller has also had long collaborations with other designers and fashion houses over the years including Helmut Lang, Yves Saint Laurent (since 2005), Vivienne Westwood. He has recently collaborated with Céline. He frequently works with the musician Björk. Teller has also photographed many artists, including William Eggleston and Roni Horn.

It goes without saying that he is regarded as one of the most influential fashion photographers working today. His work inspires me to create some risky and controversial still life imagery by picking out the main points. So from this I am going to organise a scrap book together of all the letters I have received of memories, photographs and drawings, this firstly give me a clearer view of what I need to plan to do as well as having each chapter/person separate to start bringing ideas together and organising what photo shoots I need to start putting together. 





No comments:

Post a Comment